Plan India has developed a donation refund policy as part of our commitment to honoring and respecting the financial contributions that people make to Plan India. All donations are disbursed in a timely fashion to Plan India supported projects working with children to ensure that the program objectives are met. Plan India relies on donations to design and implement the work and achieve the outcomes with respect to education, health and protection for children, any changes in the quantum of donations adversely impacts the program outcomes. We recognise the importance of donations and want to ensure we establish appropriate principles of transparency and fairness with regard to the management of refunds.
This policy outlines the circumstances under which Plan India Branch Office (hereafter ‘Plan India’) will refund a donation. This policy is applicable for only for Non-earmarked donations. Donations to specific project/CSR donations are not refundable.
This policy applies to all those who make financial donations to Plan India and to Plan India employees and volunteers responsible for processing and managing financial donations.
Plan India expects that anyone wishing to donate considers their decision carefully and checks donation amounts during transactions.Plan India recognises that it is possible to make an error when making an on-line donation or for the donors to change their mind about the donation made. It can also occur that an error is made by Plan India or our payment gateway.Under this policy Plan India will endeavour to refund donations in accordance with the following rules:
- If an error is made in making a donation or if the donor changes their mind, we will honour all requests for refund that are made in writing within 15 (fifteen) days of the date the donation was made. The written refund request should include the details of the initial transaction including date, donation amount, donor’s name, ID, tax invoice number and the nature of the error.
- Written requests for refund can be sent by email or mail:
- Email: email@example.com
- Correspondence address: Donor Service, Plan India, Plot no.1, Community Center, Zamrudpur, New Delhi- 110048
- Plan India will fully examine all requests for refund and endeavour to ensure that genuine errors are rectified. However, after 15days Plan India is under no obligation to give refunds and the decision on refunds will be at Plan India’s discretion.
- Plan India will only process refunds on return of tax exemption certificate or a written declaration that the previous receipt will not be used by donor
- Based on the written request from a donor, amount is adjusted by Plan India, the original donor receipt issued for the incorrect amount will become invalid and a new receipt will be issued by Plan India for the amount of the adjusted donation
- Plan India reserves the right to pass any refund transaction charged onto the donor
- Refunds will be returned using the original method of payment – for example if a donation has been made by credit card, the refund will be credited by Plan India to that same credit card
- Should an error be made by Plan India or our financial institution(s), a refund of the full amount will be made once Plan India is notified of the error in writing.
Responsibility and policy owner
The principal owners of this policy are:
- Director- Resource Mobilisation, Plan India.
- Director– Finance, Plan India
The owner is responsible for implementing the policy and achieving the desired outcomes.
All Plan India employees and volunteers responsible for receiving and processing donations shall:
- respect and value all those who donate to Plan India
- ensure donation processes are secure and transparent
- build trusting relationships with regular donors and partners
- respond proactively to any issues arising with regard to donation refunds
- communicate respectfully and professionally with those who request a refund and raise any issues or concerns
- that arise with Plan India management regarding donation refunds.
The policy has been approved by Plan India Management Team on 25 July 2018.